On My Mind

Thoughts on Writing and Life from Author Annette Smith

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Heaven

One of my hospice patients, C.,a 44-year-old, never-married cancer patient told me how difficult it was to be the recipient of so much assistance and care. His assigned nursing assistant today was a lovely young woman who happens to be visibly pregnant.

"She shouldn't be waiting on me. I should be the one doing for her." C. adjusted the orange stocking cap he wears over his chemo-bald head. "All my life, I've worked. What I wish more than anything is that I could go back to my job." He studied his hands. "I know that's not going to happen. When I leave this place, it won't be to go back to work."

I sat down beside him on the edge of his bed. "There's something I've wondered about. I'd like to hear what you think. When we get to heaven, you believe we'll have jobs to do?"

"I don't know."

"Me either." I reached up and adjusted C.'s nasal canula. Most of the time he's got it on sideways, blowing more O2 into his ears than his lungs. "But just say we do. What job would you pick? Would you want to polish the pearly gates? Sweep up those golden streets? Maybe play the harp?"

"Naw. Not play the harp. That would drive me crazy."

We both laughed. Then C. started to cough.

I poured a glass of water and held the straw steady to his lips. C. took a long draw, then I set the glass down.

Neither of us spoke for a long moment.

Finally C. raised his head. "You know, I'll tell you what job I'd take if they offered it to me," His eyes twinkled.

"What's that?"

"Sounds kind of silly but when I get to heaven, I'd like to be Santa Claus. Hand out candy canes and presents. BB guns for the boys and Easy Bake ovens for the girls. Yep, that's the job I'll take. If they offer it to me, that is."

"That would be a great job," I agreed. "And don't you worry. They'll offer it to you. I'm sure of it."

"There's lots of kids up there. I figure they need somebody to be Santa Claus."

"I can't think of anybody better fit for the job. You'll be perfect."

"You think so?"

"I do."

I stood to go. "As for me. I want to play the harp."

"That figures."

"When we get there, let's look each other up."

"Okay. You won't be hard to find."

"Neither will you."

C.'s head relaxed against his pillow. "Later."

"Yeah. Later, C." I patted his hand. "You need anything else?"

His eyes drooped. "Nah. I'm fine."

Me too.

6 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger batgirl said...

Aww. So sweet and sad. Now I see where some of your real life crept into A Bigger Life (which I read over the last 3 days). Just had to look you up and tell you how I loved it. Gina Holmes introduced us in Dallas. I write Sunday devotions on Novel Journey and had to check out your book after all the hubub they made about it. Was absolutely delighted and so glad they reccomended it. Thanks for the good read:)

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE "A Bigger Life".

I am an extremely picky reader and usually set aside more books than not. I couldn't wait to get back into this book each time I set it down to "do life."

Thanks for writing,

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Mary DeMuth said...

Annette! We need to get together!!!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Angela Harris said...

That's absolutely beautiful. My church just did a 4 week series and I was surprised to hear of jobs in heaven. I never thought of it, I just thought everyone stood around praising God. I guess every job we're given is praising God though.
I loved this little story.
I would want to paint clouds!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Angela Harris said...

Hello! I am a big fan! I wrote a post last year about how your books effected me and I'm writing a follow up blog post today on how your A town called Ruby Prairie got me involved in my church and how I've grown there . Thank you!
You can come see the story at YourAngil.Blogspot.com
Sincerely,
Angela Harris

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Annette! I have some information regarding an old friend of yours. A gentleman that inspired you to write a beautifully written novel based upon his life! Please let me know if there is a way that I can contact you soon. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


© Annette Smith 2006-. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Pulse Point Design