On My Mind

Thoughts on Writing and Life from Author Annette Smith

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Bread and Wine, Cereal and Milk

At my church, communion is offered every week. So this morning, like every other Sunday I'm there, I placed a broken bit of bread on my tongue. Then I sipped grape juice from a tiny plastic cup. I love communion. I love the symbolism, the taste, the smell, and the feel. I love how communion blends together the physical and the spiritual parts of me.

Jesus, when he served unleavened bread and wine to his apostles, told them to remember him when they ate. The bread was to remind them of his body, the wine of his blood. When I read about this quiet, lamp-lit scene, I am struck by the mystery and magnitude of the event. Common foods were made holy by his hands. Everyday elements became sacred.

Ordinary food and drink were consumed, but this was no ordinary meal. No one fed by Jesus that night would ever be the same. Yet, for the rest of their lives they would eat bread. They would drink wine. And when they did so, because of His words, they would be reminded of Him.

I like the idea of something consumed by a regular person on regular days being a repeated reminder of God. Problem is, I don't eat flatbread everyday. I rarely have wine. Unlike the apostles, these are not my everyday foods.

I'll continue taking communion in church. It's important to me. But perhaps even more important is my finding the sacred in the everyday. My personal communion? The foods I eat every day that remind me that God is the beginning and the end, the source of everything good? The ones I try to never eat without thinking of Him?

Not bread and not wine. Rather, cereal and milk, a bowl of Wheaties or Raison Bran and a glass of two percent. Common things, yes.

But made holy by Him.

1 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Kelli Standish said...

You know, it's funny, Annette, I've always disliked communion. It's always been this weird, unnatural thing for me. I suppose it's because I think more about Christ's suffering during that time than any other, which makes me miserable. I mean, I couldn't even watch the Passion movie, because the idea of what He experienced is just so agonizing to me. So who wants to be miserable two Sundays a month? :)

Plus, the church I attended during my formative years was a scary one. I was battling chronic illness, and was told by one of the leaders that my sickness was a punishment for taking communion with unrepented sin in my heart. For a full year afterwards, I would leave any time they held communion, feeling sorrowful because I'd repented for everything I could imagine and was still sick as before.

Now I know better, but I still don't love communion :P

Your post gives me a great perspective on it, though, so thank you for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


© Annette Smith 2006-. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Pulse Point Design