On My Mind

Thoughts on Writing and Life from Author Annette Smith

Monday, September 25, 2006

Three Book Minimum

A couple of months ago, my dad and I met in Dallas. My mom was having surgery and, not believing anyone should be left alone in a hospital, we were there to keep a three-day bedside watch on her. Soon as I arrived, I phoned my dad to find out my mom's room number. Helpfully, he met me in the hospital parking lot to help me bring in my things.

He picked up my tote bag. "Baby girl," he staggered,"what have you got in here, bricks?"

"Nope. Just books."

"How many did you bring?"

"Four," I said.

"But you're only here for two nights. "

"I know," I said. "I couldn't decide." Four books for two nights. He was right. What was I thinking? I decided to leave all but one in the car. But then I asked. "By the way, Dad, how many books did you bring?"

He shot me a grin. "Okay. Four. No. Make that three. I put one back on my way out the door."

No big surprise. It's a quirky family trait. We may forget our toothbrush and only pack one pair of clean socks, but no member of my family will ever be caught without something good to read.

I suppose there are worse things.

Need something good to read?

1 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Kelli Standish said...

Annette,
I have given away wedding rings in the past, but don't ask me to give away my books!

Your packing makes perfect sense to me:)

Kelli

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


© Annette Smith 2006-. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Pulse Point Design