On My Mind

Thoughts on Writing and Life from Author Annette Smith

Thursday, July 13, 2006

So When Are You Going to Write a Novel?

It was the promptings of my agent, publishers, and readers of my short story books that pushed me to finally pen A Town Called Ruby Prairie, my first novel. I'll always be thankful to Moody Publishers for taking a chance on me, an inexperienced novelist. They blessed me with a three book contract. During the couple of years I spent writing the series, Moody editors were encouraging and helpful. By the time I'd finished the third novel in the Coming Home to Ruby Prairie trilogy, I felt like I'd been paid to go to novel writing school. You hear that practice makes perfect. While there is no perfect novel, I can say with assurance, my writing improved with every book in that series. I hear frequently from readers who love the series. Many request yet more Ruby Prairie books.

Like them, I love Ruby Prairie, Charlotte, and Jock. Like them, I wish Ruby Prairie was a real place and that the stories of the folks who live there could go on forever.

But they can't.

Because shortly after finishing Charlotte Leaves the Light On, the third book of the series, a new character appeared and begged to be heard. His name is Joel. He's a 27-year old single dad, a straight male hair stylist who makes his home in Eden Plain Texas. His story is the subject of my next novel, the one I'm terribly excited about. Due to release in January, the title of Joel's book is A Bigger Life.

Watch for it.

It's nothing like the Ruby Prairie series, but I think you're gonna love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


© Annette Smith 2006-. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Pulse Point Design