On My Mind

Thoughts on Writing and Life from Author Annette Smith

Friday, September 15, 2006

Knit Three, Purl Three

I learned to knit in my teens, enjoyed it, but then put my yarn and needles down until a few years ago. It was a visit with my Minnesota cousin, an accomplished knitter, that prompted me to try knitting again. I bought some yarn and a set of needles and began churning out scarves. About a million of them. I made so many scarves people started running when they saw me for fear they'd have to feign gratitude for yet another neck wrap.

Here in east Texas where it rarely gets cold, a person only needs so many scarves.

Since scarves are a beginner's project, I decided to to move up to try a sweater. It would take longer than a scarf and be more of a challenge, I reasoned. Big mistake. The intricate pattern drove me nuts. This is how it went. Knit a row. Rip out a row. Knit a row. Rip out three rows. I hated it. Because for me, it's not the finished project that gives me the pleasure. It's the process, the repetition, the rhythm of mindless, don't-worry-about-the-pattern knitting that I find calming and enjoyable.

So. More scarves? Thankfully no.

Last winter I stumbled upon the perfect project, the prayer shawl. Prayer shawls are knit in a simple knit three, purl three pattern. They are designed to be knitted with intentional love and prayers and to be passed on to someone in need of comfort and warmth. The repetitive three stitch pattern lends itself to simple, three word prayers and reflections.

Father, Son, Holy Spirit
Faith, Hope, Love
Death, Burial, resurrection
Hope, Health, Healing
Love, Joy, Peace
Past, Present, Future

www.shawlministry.com is a great site for instructions, prayers, the history of, and information about Prayer Shawls. I hope you'll check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


© Annette Smith 2006-. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Pulse Point Design