On My Mind

Thoughts on Writing and Life from Author Annette Smith

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

When the Last Child is Fed

My dad is an intelligent, thoughtful, well-read man. He's also passionately opinionated, which is what makes verbal sparring with him so much fun. Religion and social justice are two topics I love to discuss with him, politics is one I stay away from. If you ever meet my dad, please heed this piece of advice. Don't get him started up on George Bush. Trust me. You do not want to go there!

The last time I saw my dad we chatted over breakfast. Our initial topic of discussion was the rapidly growing market for organic foods, including chicken, pork, and beef. Being a successful cattle rancher, dad had lots to say, mainly that while organic techniques might work well on small farms, they are not feasible for large operations, designed to produce large quantities of food. From there we moved on to the topic of how many animals designed for consumption are raised in cruel conditions. This concerns me a great deal. Him not so much. Finally, at my insistence, dad allowed that yes, some livestock does indeed suffer on its path to our tables.

"So. Is this a moral issue?" I asked him. "Is it something morally responsible people should take a stand on?"

"Yes. Maybe. Probably." He paused to take a sip of coffee. "But I look at it this way. I produce as much beef as economically as possible. That's what I do. And when the last hungry child on the earth gets fed, then I'll worry more about the animals."

My dad is the most generous man I know. He gives away his money, his time, and yes, his hamburger and his steak. No telling how many hundreds of pounds of his best beef have gone into the stomachs of hungry children and their parents down on their luck.

This is one discussion where I let him have the last word.

He's the best.

1 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger Maryellen said...

I like your dad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


© Annette Smith 2006-. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Pulse Point Design