On My Mind

Thoughts on Writing and Life from Author Annette Smith

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Hospice Quilt

Last January, I applied for a part-time nursing job at an inpatient hospice located an hour from my home. I'd wrestled with the decision to go to work there, mostly because of the commute. But after thinking about it, praying about it, and nearly driving my patient husband nuts talking about it, I finally gave in and applied.

Hospice was my calling. I'd knew that. I'd done it in the past. It is the work I am meant to do.

So. Imagine my disappointment when the personnel manager told me they weren't hiring. There were no openings. Not one. When? I asked. When might something come up? The personnel manager gave me the standard answer. She didn't know. But would be sure to keep my application on file. If anything came up, they'd give me a call.

January passed. February. No call. Then March. Still no opening.

In April, I went with my friend Sheila to a quilt show. That is where I saw this amazing quilt, made by Anne Kameyer, in honor of her late father. It depicts a soul about to cross over, being greeted by those who've already made the journey. I stood staring at the quilt for the longest time. I could not move my eyes off of it. It spoke to me in a profound way.

"It's hospice," I told my friend. "Exactly as I see it."

That very afternoon, I returned home to a message on my machine.

From hospice.

They had an opening. Could I come in?

Sometimes God does the strangest things.



1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger annetteinnc said...

Hi Annette, I was looking for my blog and I found you! I also am Annette Smith and I quilt. I love your quilt ! awesome!
Love+prayers Annette
God Is like .... DIAL SOAP
Aren't you glad you have Him. Don't you
wish everybody did.

aatsmith@earthlink.net
http://community.webshots.com/user/annetteinnc
http://quiltingembroiderybyannette.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


© Annette Smith 2006-. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Pulse Point Design