On My Mind

Thoughts on Writing and Life from Author Annette Smith

Monday, December 04, 2006

Time to Kick Back, Time for Some Fun

Last night, with a sigh and a prayer, I hit the Send command, thus launching my latest novel through cyberspace and into the hands of my waiting editor. There's work yet to be done. Edits will come, rewrites I'm sure. But for now, I get to rest.

Lord, I need it.

I'm tired. In body and in soul. I've been weepy. My joints are creaky. This past couple of months I've spent too much time in the chair, too many solitary hours in front of a screen. I've not spent enough time outside. Not chatted away enough hours with my family and friends.

That's the bad news. The good news is that now I'm done, I'm wasting no time. It's been less than twenty-four hours and already I've got a full couple of weeks of face-to-face fun with real people lined up. Lunch dates, movie dates, hours set aside to chew the fat and eat some too.

It's not easy being friends with a writer. When deadlines close in, relationships get neglected. (not to mention things like meals, laundry, grocery shopping, and bills.) Every time I meet a deadline, I vow to myself I won't ever let it get down to the wire like that again. The people I care about deserve better.

Few of them complain. How amazing is that? I am so grateful that they give me grace.

And so on this day, the first one if forever in which no deadline looms, I offer this post to them.

Thank you my friends. I love you. I so can't wait to lay eyes and arms on you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


© Annette Smith 2006-. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Pulse Point Design